Monday, February 28, 2011

To preserve Connecticut's modern house preservationist plea

Other day I received email me homesick-in I'm home.

The writer was a classmate in elementary school, not seen in decades. After the death of her mother, her around 1955, part of Leetes Island, Guilford Connecticut shoreline builds her parents is to sell the House.

First email some photos is displayed in the House she did not just stone coastline, seaweed's Lawn and hedges. Jagged site responses to easily rather calm, modern structure, a pure form, not shown to subsequent pictures.

Today, whisper, but remember what daring acts. Guildford, colonial stronghold. Displayed as anything built after 1840, a little vulgar and I grew dates from 1770 rental deserted. Receive Leetes's bizarre look at modern house Island ride my bike because it is.

House set was when built jagged look stone, ground pink sophisticated gray that is part of the development of production, a famous granite quarries. From this quarry stone was used as other landmark Brooklyn Bridge of the statue of liberty, New York.

Ayn Rand's 1943 numbers about the architecture of the novel roots, heavily symbolic Connecticut granite quarry of models have: "it's a simple world of plane curves, grass, Earth world stone, sharp edges and angles. Welding patients at the bottom of the wind and tides century was done the stone; depth unknown was coming slowly from cooling molten material; and fling the forcing of the Earth have been cooked and is still on its shelves hold the form of violence against men's violence. ?

I few years ago, neighborhood driving, soft, I remember, but it was wrested from this location to patch a flat smooth rock to build Earth 90 miles away, a great city to cut the sharp angles, memories more environment-friendly.

Live in the shape of the House. After the phone conversation, architects worked closely the mother of my classmates and her three daughters went to school, and became the architectural historian told me. Selected attributes of my classmates for her own career — as environmental education — home setting.

The looking at the pictures on your computer screen, I almost salt to taste, is may feel the wind stirs the sound. To I can't afford to covet this House, my classmates keep it it is for her practical or not thinking. However, sharing the fate of its modern neighbors if she is she sells it is to build something bigger than glitz, its land and its history responsive torn fear. Is considered in 2,500 square feet, like this fine waterfront sites for less.

I someone and know that she buy it who asked the optimistic vision and environmental sensitivity is intact?

Well, I?


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment